Temporary skills shortage visa 482 - You+Aus

skills shortage visa 482
(medium term stream)

This visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in skilled workers where employers can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker.

This is a temporary visa. You must have an approved sponsor and be nominated for the visa. You must meet our English language requirements. You must have the right skills to do the job.

Information is always changing so it’s best to check for updates on the Department of Home Affairs website


Up to 4 years. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years


From AUD $2,770

Processing Times

25% of applications: 9 Days

50% of applications: 20 Days

75% of applications: 37 Days

90% of applications: 77 Days

Note: These times will always vary and it’s best to check the Department of Home Affairs website.

with this visa you can
  • work in Australia for up to 4 years or up to 5 years if you are a Hong Kong passport holder
  • study (you won’t receive government assistance)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
  • if eligible, apply for permanent residence
you must
  • be nominated to work in an occupation on the list of eligible medium and long-term skilled occupations
  • have at least 2 years of relevant work experience in your nominated occupation or a related field
  • have a relevant skills assessment if this is required for your occupation
  • work only for your sponsor or associated entity, unless you are exempt
  • meet minimum standards of English language proficiency unless you are exempt from needing to show this

student visa

Visit Australia to participate in a course of study.

Learn more

working holiday visa

A temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia. Usually for up to 12 months and can be extended to a second year visa if you decide to stay.

Learn more

Temporary Skills VISA 186

This visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer, live and work in Australia permanently.

Learn more