Explore Australia While Working In Healthcare | Working Holiday Visa | You + Aus - You+Aus

Explore, work and thrive in Australia – nursing working holiday visas

Want to travel across Australia and advance your nursing or midwifery career at the same time? You + Aus are here to help make your working holiday easier by finding you placements in some of the best healthcare facilities across Australia. We connect you with our partner healthcare agencies so you can work while travelling across the country with ease.

Your dream working holiday made possible

Work across Australia


Travel and work where your heart desires. We’ll find you the right healthcare job in Australia’s top destinations as you travel across the country.

Make a mark on your career


Work in some of the most beautiful parts of Australia where you’ll have the opportunity to solve new challenges, learn from incredible nurses, and make a real difference.

Enjoy the great work vibes


With lower patient-to-nurse ratios (between 1:4 & 1:6), flexible working hours, shorter shifts, and a great culture, you’ll have all you need to make the most of your working holiday visa.

Love the competitive pay


Who doesn’t want a good payday? We’ve got competitive pay rates so you can splurge on the fun all holiday long.

+ support

Make your working holiday a breeze with the support of You + Aus. You’ll have the support you need to find work while traveling across the country, making your trip easy. Our team goes further and will provide a moving checklist, so you don’t miss items like registering with AHPRA, finding accommodation, getting a bank account, and more. If you need further support, we can also refer you to a registered migration agent. At each stage of your working holiday, from finding work, moving, and travelling, the You + Aus team will be by your side.

Register Now

“It’s exciting to work in Australia, with new friends to meet and amazing learning opportunities”

Cathy, General Registered Nurse, on her experience of moving from Ireland to Australia

Apply Now



We’re here to help. Check out some of our most frequently asked questions. And if you don’t find what you’re looking for, be sure to contact someone from our team.

Why get a working holiday visa for Australia as a nurse?

If you’ve ever dreamed about sipping coffee on the Sydney Harbour, exploring the art galleries of Melbourne, catching the waves on the Gold Coast, and watching the sunset over the Aussie outback, then a working holiday visa to Australia is your chance.

For nurses, a working holiday visa is the perfect opportunity to explore Australia while gaining valuable experience in a wide range of healthcare facilities. You’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of working as a nurse in Australia, including lower patient-to-nurse ratios, better pay, shorter shifts, and greater flexibility, all while travelling to some of the most beautiful or exciting locations on the planet.

What is a working holiday visa?

There are multiple visa options for having a working holiday in Australia. A couple of these options may include the Working Holiday Maker visa (subclass 417) or (subclass 4620). Each has different conditions which need to be met. You can find out the specific conditions that may relate to your personal circumstance at the Department of Home Affairs website.

A working holiday visa will allow you to do short-term work in Australia to help fund your holiday. It is generally available for people aged between 18-30 (in some cases up to age 35) and allows travel to and from Australia as many times as you like during the 12 months of the visa.

These details are relevant as of 10th December 2023. You can find the latest information at the Department of Home Affairs website.

How to get a working holiday visa?

You can apply for a working holiday visa online at the Department of Home Affairs website. If you need some advice we can direct you to a migration agent to make the process easier.

There are some requirements that you need to meet to qualify for a working holiday visa. You must be aged between 18-30 (or 35 depending on the country), hold a passport from an eligible country, have not previously entered Australia on a 417 or 462 visa, and not be accompanied by dependants. You can find the application form and full details on eligibility requirements online at the Department of Home Affairs website.

These details are relevant as of 10th December 2023. You can find the latest information at the Department of Home Affairs website.

Can I extend my working holiday visa?

Yes. You’ll need to apply for a second working holiday visa. To apply you will need to have already held a working holiday visa and completed 3 months of approved work. You can find more information on extending your visa at the Home Affairs website.

These details are relevant as of 10th December 2023.

When should I apply for AHPRA?

This varies and depends on your individual travel plans. The average application takes 4-6 months to come through at an ‘in principle’ stage. Once you reach this stage, you’ll need to verify your identity online or at one of the AHPRA offices in Australia within a certain timeframe. Our team is always happy to discuss your plans to register with AHPRA so we can line up relevant work.

You can learn more at the AHPRA website.



Will I be able to work in different locations across Australia?

Yes. Once You + Aus positions you with one of our agencies, the allocations team will help you find shifts in your preferred area of specialisation in locations that are close to home. If you decide that you want a change of scene, simply contact the You + Aus team and they’ll help you to transfer to another part of Aus.

+ willing?

Ready to get started on your Australian adventure? Connect with our recruitment team by registering your details today.

Register Now